Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Extreme Difficulty Challenge

I'm the sort of obsessive jackass who spent hundreds of hours of my childhood and teenage years beating games like Goldeneye in every way possible. I beat every level in that game on every difficulty in the time limits necessary to unlock every cheat. I collected all 120 Stars in Super Mario 64 and met Yoshi on the roof of the castle. I beat 100% of Super Mario World, finding all 96 exits and maxing out my coins. Quake 1 and 2 I beat on the highest difficulty, I unlocked every fighter in Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 and 2, I soloed Halo 1 and 2 on legendary.

This is not the sort of behavior that a normal and healthy human being should exhibit, let alone foster, but foster it is exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to challenge myself to beat many of my games on the highest difficulty, and/or 100% them. Call me sick and disturbed, but don't ever say I'm not determined.

Here's a list of the games, my goals, and my progress so far:

Halo 3: Legendary difficulty in solo mode
-done
Rainbow Six Vegas: Realistic Difficulty in solo mode
-done
Rainbow Six Vegas 2: Realistic difficulty in solo mode
-done
Gears of War: Insane difficulty in solo mode
-done
Gears of War 2: Insane difficulty in solo mode
-done
Halo 3 ODST: Legendary difficulty in solo mode
-15% complete
Mirror's Edge: Hard difficulty
-4/9 chapters completed
Mass Effect 2: Insanity difficulty
-approx. halfway with vanguard (tip: vanguard is unbalanced and weak on high difficulty)
Assassin's Creed: 100% complete
-Templars, Jerusalem flags and Damascus Flags still needed
Project Gotham Racing 4: Receive a platinum medal in every arcade event
-approx. 20% complete

Possible Future Challenges
Bionic Commando: Commando difficulty
Shadow Complex: 100% complete
Mass Effect 1: Insanity difficulty
Batman Arkham Asylum: Hard difficulty

No comments: